Friday, February 26, 2021

God’s peace when we are alone

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God, and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God’s house; and of all that you give me I will surely give one-tenth to you. — Genesis 28:20

Jacob was alone. After tricking his brother, Esau, out of his birthright and father’s blessing, he had to flee. Out in the desert he makes a vow to God. If God will deliver him to a place of safety, he will be a faithful follower.

We have all felt alone and even deserted in life. The power of faith is that it is experienced more acutely when we are jostled about than in times when we are settled. The wonderful thing about our relationship with God is that God does not show up just when we are at our best or most obedient. It is when we are wrong, when we have made mistakes and even sinned, that God is ever-present. If we dedicate ourselves to God, God’s promises will be delivered.

God of remembrance and fulfillment, you do not disappoint us. We don’t have to question you because you remember your promises and fulfill your word. A word that lets us know you love us and provide for us. In Christ’s name, we pray. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. It is such a comfort to know that God never leaves us -- even though we deserve it. There are times when I have done something un-Christlike and that's when it seems that God is even nearer, drawing me back.

    ReplyDelete